Literacy at Launceston College
We have two main goals:
- 100% of pupils writing accurately in all subjects and year groups
- 100% of pupils reading fluently at their chronological reading age
Goal #1: Accurate Writing
What exactly do we mean by writing accurately?
1. Every sentence starts with a capital letter.
2. Every sentence ends with a full stop (except a question or exclamation).
3. Capital letters are used for unique things and the word 'I'.
- Subject-specific writing tasks are modelled in lessons.
- Spellings of new vocabulary words are explicitly taught and practised in English lessons.
- Self-checks are incorporated into lessons.
- SPAG lessons are taught weekly as part of the English curriculum.
Goal #2: Fluent Reading
We test reading ages once a year in the summer with a standardised age test.
We test weaker readers more regularly within our catch-up programmes.
- Tutor Reading: Students are read to four times per week during coaching sessions through our tutor reading programme.
- Vocabulary is taught, practised and recapped in subject lessons.
- Lexonik Leap and Advance small-group reading programmes.
- Lexia vocabulary, spelling and grammar programme for some students in English lessons.